Tuesday 13 March 2007

a fairground life

I went and picked the miami ride up today so i can prepair it for the trip to Ireland. Any way heres the next instalment of the cyprus saga...
Pathos April 1999
As the first 10 days of Pathos were the Greek Easter holiday period we were busy every night. I finally got even with the cash I had deposited into Mr “A”s bank account in Feb. Then on the Monday it was like a light going out. I have never seen this before. We were opening and not seeing one person. It was approaching our Easter now, but we had been getting money only from the locals. Now they were working to accommodate the British holiday makers and the Brits weren’t on holiday to come to the fair. This meant we never seen any Brits at all. This is why I thought that staying the summer would be no good and was happy to be going home in three weeks. It was time also for my in laws to go home. They were worried that it would get busy again, but I said there was not much chance and any way we had arranged some foreign help for the games (a Chinese girl) , Hank had hired a Russian girl to look after the lucky numbers game. That next day my in laws returned to the U.K. Business was so bad at Pathos now that the Chinese girl refused to take wages from me! I was only giving her £5 a night! I had to force the money on her. She would stay in the stall at all times, no toilet breaks, no meal breaks, it was embarrassing. The only time she left the game was one night when two policemen happened to walk through the fair. All the new foreign workers disappeared. It became clear that they thought it was immigration officials. These young workers were all students studying here in Cyprus on scholarships and were not allowed to work. If they got caught they would get sent home. After the police left they all resumed their places. The Chinese girl wanted to return to the UK and stay with my wife and I. If British workers had this kind of loyalty today, we might still be an empire.
We had two weeks to go. Money was tight again. “c” was in Europe trying to get a new ride for the proposed permanent park in Limassol. “d” was building a mobile stall (with my help) to stay at the permanent park with. One day we went to get materials to finish the stall. We had several 10ft x 5ft sheets of tin to transport. The only way to get them into the car was to roll them like a tube and put them across the back seat. Halfway back they decided to unroll and nearly decapitated us I had a slow puncture on the front of the lorry. I went to get a new tyre for the vehicle. I found a tyre services just on the edge of the town. I arranged for then to come down and repair the tyre. Later that day the two Cypriots came down to the fair with a van. I should them the lorry and flat tyre. When I opened their van I saw no spare tyre, no tools, no wheel key. I asked them how were they going to change the tyre with no equipment. The Cypriots explained in broken English that they would drive the lorry to their workshop to change the tyre and then bring it back. They also stated that they were looking forward to driving an E.R.F, as there were none on the island. Sorry to burst their bubble , but I needed this lorry to get home and there was no way I was going to let them go joy riding around in it. I drove the lorry to the tyre services and back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home