Saturday 11 August 2007

a fairground life(st andrews)

I returned from Glasgow just in time to pick up the toyset and take it up to the square. As it is very tight in the square and the town is always busy, all the rides go up in sequence with timed intervals between them. When I was a kid, I can remember sitting in the cab of the lorry with my father behind the wheel waiting for the go ahead. Any way when I arrived in the square I still had to wait nearly 2hrs for the dodgem trucks to move out the way. I got the wee ride set on the plot and levelled it off, but I didn't finish erecting it so that it would not get abused over night. The next morning at 8am I went up with "r" and finished the job. When we tried the ride out at 9am, the top running lights would not work!!! Straight away I phoned "b" to ask if there had been any problems at the last fair. He told me "no", but in the past he had had problems with the brush gear. So a point of note to you all- If you have problems with an electrical device, BEFORE you crawl under with a torch and check the brushes, then remove the center panels and check the running light box, trace the wire down the chassis for breaks, open the junction box for loose connections, open the control box to inspect the contactors, BEFORE you do any of this OPEN THE PLUG AND CHECK THE WIRES ARE ALL CONNECTED!!!! I am releived though that this was the simple answer to my problem.
Last night I took my wife to the picture to see Hairspray, the last time I was in that picture hall would be over thirty years ago when my brother and I went to see the "Bigbus". That what I remember from my youth at St Andrews, going to the pictures while my father and mother were watching the arcade and snack bar. There used to be two picture halls, but now there is only one, Oh, while I remember, the toyshop is gone now, it is a woolen shop these days.

Tomorrow night we go up on the street with the dropzone. I have sourced the route I will have to take. It is up a one way street the wrong way!!! Thats the only way I can get access into the plot and have the ride facing the front. I Hope the traffic warden is friendly.

1 Comments:

At 18 August 2007 at 17:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou

I've just spent a lazy afternoon reading your entire blog.
It both enjoyable and very informative.
As a haulier it just confirms we all experience similar problems regardless of what we use our vehicles for.

Best Regards S

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home