Monday 20 August 2007

a fairground life(crieff games)

Sunday
Hallelujah!!! It stopped raining at 7am in the morning. I got up at 8am and finished a few odd jobs. We opened shortly after 11am. The park was mushy where the traffic had been coming in, but dried out as the afternoon went on. By 6pm the sun was splitting the sky. Business was up to expectations (at last). I understand the gate was just over 5000 people for the highland games. The O2 flag on top of the DZ had got snagged overnight and never flew on the main day!! Shame for the sponsors!!
When I tried the skydiver in the morning, it wouldn't go again. It turned out that the sticky valve was a sympton of the real problem- voltage drop to the motor due to a faulty extension cable. So I ended up running two generators on the day so that a single cable would reach the skydiver. The sound of the pump running had tipped me off that the power supply was not right. When we closed at 6pm I had arranged for extra staff to come for the pull down. The three rides were almost coming down at once. As soon as the skydiver was ready I took it away to the next fair at Birnam. It was just getting near dark when I arrived there. I took a chance to try and set it on its position. No go- it got stuck about 20ft from the plot. So I left it there for the night. When I got back to Crieff at around 10:30 pm "r" had the DZ out and was just coupling up the miami. That was it for the night. "r" got in his car and drove it back to Glasgow (with no clutch) for a uni exam the next morning.
Monday
Miami over to Birnam. This ride pulled onto it's plot easily. Then I spent an hour towing the skydiver back and forth until we eventually got it into a position where it could build up without hindering the operation of the fair. It's only 9ft from the origional position, but to try and place it exact would have left the field cut to shreds and covered in ruts. After this I went back to Crieff and picked up the DZ and drove it to Irvine. "r" met me there and we built the ride up. It was 9:30pm when we finished and getting dark. This is a very large and busy fair. It was chartered by Mary Queen of Scots, hence the name Irvine Marymas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home