Friday 17 July 2009

a fairground life


Ups and downs this week, I got the non return for the set and fitted it. No go, I mean no go literally as the set wouldn't start. Its possible I didn't spend enough time bleeding it but I think its possible that the lift pump was not strong enough to open the valve on the suck side and yes I did have it in the correct way (big arrow on side). So in a fit of temper I removed it and tightened up the pipes into the new filter extra tight. The kind of tight you wouldn't apply normally incase you break something. Put it all back together and got the set started for 12:30pm, a whole hour after I started the job. As we opened I got my first 3 punters on the DZ. It wouldn't go either. I checked all brushes, cleaned all bands,checked all lap bar limit switches,check fuse box, relays, check brushes and clean bands again (at this point the ride was for sale at a knock down price) and finally found a suspect resistor with a heat mark on its body. So I went off to RS components for another while "R" scaled the tower and started removing the wiring connections to the bands. When I returned we fitted the new resistor, "r" had cleaned all band connections except two that had the access bolts rusted solid. We tried the ride---no go. So "r" went up with a hammer and chisel and removed the two seized bolts the old fashioned way. He cleaned the last two connections. We tried the ride and it finally went, 6 hours after we started on the thing. By the way the heat marked resistor is working fine. On the bright side, for the last two days the set has started without bleeding-that fit of temper on the filter housing has did the trick.

Today Prince Andrew came and visited the Clydebuilt Museum, there was a small army of security and Police with him (just out of shot in the picts). I don't know if it was a secret of if nobody was interested but the crowd was only about a dozen passers by. I bet Di would have pulled in the crowds. Then again Andy fought for his country during the Falklands. HE IS SECOND LEFT OF THE LAMP POST, FACING THIS WAY SHAKING HANDS.

1 Comments:

At 18 July 2009 at 20:47 , Anonymous borderer said...

good evening all, showman seems like you have had a good and bad week just like myself we have just one field left to cut for silage and thats it for another few weeks until 2nd cut begins and harvest will kick in soon, regarding the farms l200 thats wheel came off they now servicing all our cars for free to say sorry so save myself a few bob there and the range rover is always away with miss borderer and her wags they went to carlisle on wed night and run out of diesel just outside longtown at 11pm so i received a call and nearest filling station would be carlisle so i set off with 40 litres of diesel all the way to longtown so now i have to warn miss borderer to keep it just under quarter tank. hows blakey and jesters doing. cheers borderer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home