Sunday 26 August 2007

a fairground life(Irvine end)

Saturday
The rain came on Saturday morning (surprise surprise). We opened at 12pm and by 1pm the fair was very busy. There was a large police presence this year to enforce the alcohol ban. In previous year I had never seen so much alcohol being consumed in public by people from children to pensioners! This year all I seen were two people take a sly swig from their concealed stash. The rain eased by 2pm and we did have a very good afternoon. By tea time the families were all away and only the teenagers remained until closing at 10pm. There is no pulling down after 10:30pm so I left the DZ built up and drove straight to Dunkeld to help "r" finish the skydiver and miami. I got there just after midnight. The miami was ready to couple up. I stopped him from finishing off the skydiver, he only had to lift it for coupling and pick up the mains etc. We coupled the miami up and took it out of the field ready for Sunday morning. In bed for 1:30 am.
Sunday
Up at 6:30 am. Jumped in the miami lorry and took it to Dundee for a funday. We got it built up and ready for the back of 9am. That was when I noticed a dripping hydraulic pipe on one of the motors. Taking no chances we replaced it with the spare. At that my wife came and picked me up. We drove all the way back to Dunkeld so I could pick up a unit to swap for the one on the DZ (I need this generator for the skydiver at the next fair) then on to Irvine (dropping off this unit at the yard and picking up the new light box for the miami en route) for me to pull down the DZ and move it back to the yard. Meanwhile "r" and the labourer would operate the miami then pull it down. Luckily for me, my brother moved it on for me so I didn't have to go all the way back up to Dundee. When I got back to Irvine the DZ was the only ride still standing. It was well after 3pm now and I needed to get a move on. I got a hand from another showman's labourer and we had the DZ ready for the road for 5:30pm. I was back in the yard for 7pm and then swapped the units over. Tomorrow I will take the skydiver unit (with generator) back up to Dunkeld to pick the ride up.

Confused? Me too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home