Friday 25 April 2008

a fairground life (opening Alloa)

I had a few jobs to do in Glasgow so I didn't leave until after 2:30 pm. I got fuel for the jeep at T***o, it was quite busy with people stocking up. Its strange having to think about doing a journey-like being in a third world country-no they have plenty of cheap fuel, its only us that are taxed to death. When I got to Alloa the rain was bouncing off the ground (well it would have been if it had not turned to mush already).
I still had the show to erect before opening and started on it right away. The grass was turning to mush under my feet as I walk around the attraction fitting the pieces together. At 6pm I was ready and soaked through as well. At half six we opened. It was very quiet here for the first night. I think the weather and football kept a few indoors (it would have me). Not wanting to waste any precious diesel I closed promptly at 9pm. If I'm careful my generator fuel might last the next ten days of the fair. Maybe we should have advertised that the public should all come the first weekend incase we run dry before next week. No painting at painting place this year, and my lovely painted floor on the skydiver is turning a nice shade of brown.
The clip shows the energy storm in flight.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 25 April 2008 at 19:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Painting Place, I remember it well, We used to go just after Glasgow Green when the Ground was RED and then spent all week painting and washing ready for St Andrew's.

That was back in 1980 and i remember a Hussle Machine on the ground !!! I think thats its name.

Strange place alloa.

Malc

 
At 25 April 2008 at 21:48 , Blogger showman said...

I can remember going there in the backend too. I remember the machine you mention and I'm sure it was Joe Williamson that had it.

 
At 26 April 2008 at 14:00 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi borderer here hows things going with the fuel shortages you coping ok hows buisness hope u and ur family all ok.cheers borderer

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home