Monday 8 February 2010

a fairground life (shed rats)

"R" picked a good time to go on holiday, as he missed pulling down the Skydiver at the mall. I did this with "worm" a week gone Sunday night. It took us 3 hours, what a disgrace as that was a good hour longer than it should have taken. To be fair though the last time I pulled that ride down was in June and it has been a while since I did any other heavy work so it doesn't take long to grow fat 'n' lazy. A few weeks after starting out should see me in the swing of things again (I hope).
I went looking for a shed again to work on the rides in. As usual I looked where the other showmen are working first to see if there was room and what's what. Anyhow while at the shed talking to one or two, it was mentioned that we are "shed rats". It was quite apt though as it is always the same faces that are in the sheds year on year. There are some showmen who have never been in a shed to do any work. Maybe they work harder in the summer or just have more time to do this maintenance then. Maybe they have better equipment that doesn't need this level of maintenance or maybe they are just lazy, but one thing is for sure- I don't seem to fall into any of these categories as I have been in sheds every few years for as long as I can remember, so I guess I am a "Shed Rat".
The skydiver has been taken back into the shed again for maintenance. I didn't think we were going to be able to do that work this month as the first proposed shed had a door that was too low and it was full with other rides anyway, also the engineer making the replacement components had not done so and was leaving the next morning for a 3 week holiday. So I cancelled the shed. Three hours later the engineer called me to come to his place immediately and he would do the components there and then. For 10pm that night I had the two new bushes in my hands. Now all I had to do was find another shed I could fit into. Anyway four days later and I manage to get space in the same shed I used two years ago, that was very lucky. I took the skydiver over there in the morning and put it back on its original plot used 6 and 2 years ago, in fact the blue paint from painting the chassis is still clearly visible on the floor!
With the ride positioned its only a matter of starting work, which I left to "r" and "wk" that day as I was otherwise engaged. I started on the job the next morning.
Its has been a week now that we have been working. The ride has had a few mechanical jobs done-pins,bushes etc. We started to repair the lighting again. The running light box has been playing up lately so I opened it for for inspection. I didn't spot anything obvious at first but then the box froze as I prodded and poked. It turned out that there was a fractured pin on a very small IC connector on a ribbon cable. It became more apparent when it broke off completely when I touched it. So I ended up at Maplins, then a computer repair shop and finally RS components, all of whom did not have a replacement. I have ordered one for tomorrow, I hope its the correct one. That episode took up a couple of hours and when we got into the shed it was lunchtime. We spent the next few hours putting in bulbs and changing bulb holders. I can't help but wonder how it seems that so much work needs done to the ride? I'm far from a perfectionist, but it seems the the potential for improvement to the ride is endless. It has been getting me down a bit as I have felt like I've been getting nowhere fast. Hopefully this feeling will pass and I will get a little ahead with things. After this one is finished the plan is to crack on with the Miami.

10 Comments:

At 8 February 2010 at 21:15 , Blogger showman said...

that houshotel sounds really fab borderer, watch out for miss borderer employing a house keeper (lol)

 
At 9 February 2010 at 00:05 , Blogger borderer said...

it sure will be when finished. took a while to get through planning stages and final decision but glad was rushed through before xmas hoping to be in it end of april. the team are doing 14 hour days. miss borderer will probably need a keeper with all these bedrooms and en suites to clean but im not available haha, glad to hear you are in the shed getting all prepped up for the new season when is your first fair, will have to come up and see you get away from it all for the day lol!. hows jesters and blakey doing cheers borderer

 
At 9 February 2010 at 16:23 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi all, hav'nt forgotten the blog it's just me getting too lazy. I got an "i" phone for Xmas which is great,it gives me the benefit of going onto the web without leaving the chair, trouble is the vertual key board is to small for the digits which leaves it difficult some times to type anything, sorry about that, but would like to say hello to every one, who are all I would think be preparing like mad for the coming season. But before I say anything can I just say the house/hotel sounds really nice Mr Borderer, but with all that room you would need a big family to fill the space, with this in mind would you think this could be a good time to talk to Miss Borderer and make an early start lol. Just thinking here, have you any spare sheds to fit fair ground machines into, not just for Mr Showman but for any one from the business who might need to use them, could lead to another string to your bow if you have, what about steam rallies that could be some thing else worth thinking of, or the odd golf course lol.Got me thinking hat on again showman and looking at the Governments proposals to build new houses and shopping centres on every spare piece of land in the country,and how it would affect the business in the future.I was thinking that some of that land that is used for funfairs would get lost to this madness and was wondering how it could be over come. I know wer'e out of the recession ( believe that if you like) cos Mr Brown said so, and the down turn must be finished cos he also said that, which then means the punters will have extra cash in reserve with may be some of it trickling down to the fun side of things, if this is so would that mean a better travelling season for many families. But would the loss of the grounds affect the business a great deal? if so, could the families diversify, like sharing equipment, or getting together to buy there own land,would that be possable, or would it be just an early retirement for some. (Which begs
another "Q" for Borderer have you any fields you could fit a spare Gaff into?)

 
At 9 February 2010 at 18:45 , Blogger borderer said...

welcome back john, ah well i proposed to miss borderer on old years night when the bells wrang so we are arranging a date for the wedding told her cant be april may due to lambing, june or july for silage or august and sept for harvest haha think will be next year now. regarding the spare sheds we dont have sorry as we have a large farm contracting buisness and have 3 artics with dolly trailers in one shed for the harvest bale run and the other sheds are for cattle or sheep and machinery. in relation to ground we have over 4000 acre across the 3 farms but its mainly arable or hill ground. plus the borders is a far trek from central scotland as showman will no lol (deepest darkest corner of the globe lol) we could get a field somewhere in central belt get a funfair and few bands together and make a killing lol. what u think showman lol thanks borderer.

 
At 9 February 2010 at 19:26 , Blogger jesters said...

A few years back there was a local guy, had mostly inflateables but a decent infrastructure behind him also. He rented a large park nearby fenced it off and provided three stages with local bands. Drink was available but not on the field. We attended as it was the first year we didnt expect much and we wernt dissapointed.
There was a very poor turnout possibly as a entrance fee albeit small was charged. We ticked away and thought it might take a couple of years to get going, unfortunatly this wasnt to be as it was never repeated. The poor guy is now out of the business now so maybe that was a expensive lesson. The trend now seems to be where there is all ready a crowd, like the mall, gala days, princess st etc etc. The days of a fair being a big draw to public on its own seems to be in decline regretably.
I also have to agree with you John that too many grounds have been lost and to many nimbys preventing new ones.

 
At 10 February 2010 at 10:24 , Blogger showman said...

no matter how many malls they build, it all boils down to one thing-people to feed them. the population of bonnie scotland is just too small, hence the sayin- wha's like us? damn few an there aw deed! if we are out of the down turn I think it will be another 12month before I will see any benefit (my opinion).

good to hear from you again john

 
At 10 February 2010 at 13:48 , Blogger borderer said...

yes this so called out the recession is alot of cxxp, u may all think that myself and miss borderer building a huge farm house is like snobby but in reality it is viable for the future when we have kids and when in laws etc stay or friends plus with my grandad dying last year and mum and dad not around anymore then it seemed good to have a clean start and build it, took a while through planning but was succesful and we are looking forward to moving in, farming is having its ups and downs just now grain prices are on the rise after a drop and livestock prices are at a uk high for 3-4 years but some hill farmers are struggling, luckily i have been passed down a great 3 farms with arable and stock and i set up the farm contracting buisness, miss borderer has her enemies who think shes a stuck up farmers wife but in reality she just 19 and has her own buisness side line and promotion at work was great and she studied for it she doesnt need my support much just emotional and few words of advice now and then. the country will gradually pick up but i cant see it coming soon but heres hoping showman and blakey and ss and every other single showman in the scotland section has a great 2010 season and the punters come out and support the funfair as its been here for generations and myself and miss borderer even tho were adults would like to see it round for more generations to come its a back bone to some communitys. keep up the great work u do showman and "r" and "b". cheers borderer

 
At 10 February 2010 at 19:21 , Blogger BLAKEY said...

Glad to hear recession over. I think i'm starting my own mini recession as i have only had one driving job in the last 24 days. I'm almost down to my last million.
I have been busy with other things in particular the fiting of a new bathroom. Mr's blakey took full advantage of the wee bit of extra time i had on my hands. She also took full advantage of my wallet as it went to twice the budget i predicted. It cost that much i had to do the tileing myself. I dont mind the plumbing and joinery work,but i really hate tileing with a vengance. To make matter's worse mr's blakey bought porseline tile's. For those who dont know there a bit thicker and heavier than ceramic tile's. I went through 2 cuting blades[£15 each] and 7 tile drill bits[£3 each] and i've still got a cabinet to put up yet. We ordered the cabinet 2 weeks ago'and paid for next day delivery so we should get it any day now.
I've been busy with other things of late and have now booked most of my summer fairs and i'm well up to date with all my paperwork.Ive also fitted in some repair's to a couple of my rented properties,so i'm up to date there as well'
I've also rented out a couple of stall for this month so that took up a few days as well.
All i need now is some driving jobs so i cant start on that second million again.
PS not goin anywhere near the shed as last time i gave him a 'wee' hand on the skydiver i ended up in the eye clinic,and i still have'nt recieved the compo for it yet. I wont hold my breath. Good luck with the house borderer and no i dont know anyone who can fit tile's. hope all are well.

 
At 10 February 2010 at 22:54 , Blogger borderer said...

ah not so good blakey last million god better get some shifts now lol, ah yes the dredded other half spending all ur hard earned i still have that to come when the house needs furnished and i presume equiped with all the mod cons darn lol, we just finished doing out all our farm cottages new windows doors and insulation etc so all workers are chuffed now and will save on heating bills for us lol, hows the shed doing now showman onto the miami yet cheers borderer.

 
At 14 February 2010 at 11:47 , Blogger borderer said...

good day, the new build house has come on leeps and bounds the ground works are mostly done the plot is dug out and the concrete mix is fastly setting, the kit is arriving on the farm on wednesday and have 2 cranes on hand to take the lot of the lorries saved a few bob by using ower on lorries. miss borderer is away on work buisness and im just getting the shed prepared for lambing, ive been told under strict intsructions to take pictures on wednesday and keep the other half up to date think she doesnt trust me haha. hows all the regulars and showman hows the shed work coming along thanks borderer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home