Tuesday 4 September 2007

a fairground life

We are not operating at any funfair this week. We are waiting to do a private corporate hire. So I returned to Stirling today to wash the equipment in preperation. The skydiver was first, we folded out the floors and scrubbed the treadplate. After that it was the funhouses turn, then the water lasers, van and the skydiver unit with generator.
The first corporate event I did was way back in June 1987 or 88 I can't remember exactly. It was in Torness power station on the East coast of Scotland near Dunbar. It was with the Paratrooper ride. I went to visit the site to assess the layout ect. I was given a visitor badge to wear and it also opened various electronic doors. Thinking back now- it was probably a radiation monitor aswell! Any how after getting the grand tour and looking through a small window into the main control room ( a massive high roofed room covered in dials and clocks from left to right and top to bottom with two men sitting at a small desk in front of two monitor screens. Very impressive! ) , I asked my contact if it would be possible to get a "tap on" (power supply) for the paratrooper. I think he thought I was taking the mick, as this was a power station! Any way I did get a 3 phase power supply but had to borrow a transformer rectifier from a friend who owned the permanent funfair in Portobello, Edinburgh. I opened the ride for two afternoons during the stations open days. The pace was calm and all the patrons were very polite. It was a good, easy event for me with decent money to boot. I thought to myself then, I need to get more into these corporate do's. That night I pulled the ride down. It was very tight to get the lorry turned and I had to do a three point turn in between some large boulders to get off site. As I was heading back to Edinburgh (11:30pm approx), I passed my father in law going in the other direction, he was taking a load for my father down to Kelso. The next morning when I looked around my lorry (that old 1965 ERF) I noticed that the metal air pipe on the rear airtank was crushed to almost breaking point! I must have done it against a boulder while turning the lorry. That was lucky, another millimeter and the pipe would have been blocked! No air pressure=No brakes!
I wonder if I will get invited back before they de-comission the power station?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home