Tuesday 25 September 2007

a fairground life

Saturday
I finished off the miami for 8pm. Wasting no time I set off for Stranraer. It was a pleasant trip down and I got there just after 10pm. The carpark was almost empty and I pulled right onto my plot. Next I set the caravan, got it levelled off and plugged onto the power. This is the first time on the town power here. The tenants of the fair clubbed together and had a supply fitted. The previous years had been on a generator. The town supply will work out cheaper in the long run and its on 24hrs. I nipped up to the Chinese for my supper and then into kip.
Sunday
Up at 7:30 am and (with the aid of two bolts I hammered into the ground last year) I set the miami inch perfect. This fair is very narrow and tight , so there is no room for mistakes. I erect the ride ready for opening. Now I must return to Glasgow again to where the other equipment is open. On our way back my wife comes up with an idea- Lets go and see our friend on Millport island. My initial reaction is no- we must get back to the fair where our rides are open. She has a lesser commitment than me, the rides are being looked after by "r" and "m" and are perfectly fine, so I reluctantly agree. Any way it will only be for an hour, right? We arive on Millport island via the ferry. I leave the jeep parked in a carpark at Largs. The crossing is the short, only 10 minutes, in fact I could see the carpark in Largs from the jetty in Millport. I have never ever been to Millport before, I expected it to be dull, weather beaten. NOT the case, it was lovely and the houses were brightly painted, coloured lights hung right around the bay. There were numerous pubs and a couple of resturaunts. We went out for a meal with our friends, had a drink and that was that- we stayed the night and got blitzzed!!! I didn't get to bed until 2am.
Monday
Up for 10am and headed back to Glasgow for opening time. The weather was wet and miserable, I thought we were in for a wet pulldown, but the rain went off at 6pm just in time. We started to pulldown at 7pm and had the DZ and Skydiver finished for 10:30pm. I took the DZ back to the yard and parked it. The Skydiver is open at a music event this weekend-at the same place it was opened at! We have pulled it down to literally move it 200 yards and build it up again. It does not matter if you are moving 2 yards or 2miles- you still have to pull it all the way down to move it.
Tuesday
went back to the center to erect the skydiver on the new position for the music event. The layout plan was not finalised yet, so it will be put off until tomorrow. This knackered my plan for the day. Hopefully we will get set tomorrow. We open at Stranraer on Thursday night, I could do with getting the skydiver built up before then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home