Monday 8 October 2007

a fairground life(hire conclusion)

Saturday
Day two of this event. We're up for 7am. I wanted to be back on site before the security left, also we still had an hours work to do. It was just after 8am when we got on site. My brother had the twist half erected by then. I finished off a couple of jobs and erected a barrier around the ruts from the day's before problems. The weather was sunny and at 10am prompt we opened up. It was only a few minutes before the first families arrived. By noon it was quite busy. That was it, we never stopped until 8pm that night when it slowed for the last hour. 9pm closing time, we all left the site and the overnight security remained.
Sunday
Day three, again an early start. We arrived just before 9am to the site. We were an hour late, but the security had remained until we arrived. We use this firm a lot, they are very good with us. In fact I had arranged for them to be onsite during the evening aswell even though the client had arranged their own security. I had expected a lot of gate crashers to try and take advantage of the clients free event, but this did not happen. Glorious weather again and at 10 am we started, this time it was after 11am before any customers turned up (not surprising being a sunday morning). However the afternoon was much busier. The Dropzone had a Q for several hours and rode full for six hour solid! I am pleased to say that the families attending made full use of the attractions provided. This was the hardest the ride had worked in my possesion and it performed well. At 8pm the organiser closed the event. I was glad to say the least, my legs were aching as I had been on my feet since we opened! At that the crew arrived to help me pull down as "r" was still at Stranraer open and would not be back until midnight as he had uni in the morning. I started the crew on the skydiver while "m" and I did the funhouse, then I lowered the pole on the Dz before returning to assist with the skydiver pulldown. Then back to finish the DZ. We had everything down for 11pm and the crew left, they are all good lads and have there own jobs through the week. I have known them all for over 25yrs. Due to the ground conditions I did not couple anything up, one wrong move in the dark on this terrain would be a disaster. So Home time.
Monday
9am and off to pick up the rides. Using the paths we got everything out without a hitch. The only hick up was having to put the battery charger on the lorries to start them, it is that time of the year again when the cold damp nights kill the charge. I did two trips to the next fair, taking the DZ first. When I arrived with the skydiver I started to erect it right away. At 4pm "r" came over from uni and helped me finish off. We are supposed to be open with the miami tonight at Stranraer aswell, but I just can't do it, you can't be in two places at once, so the ride is closed tonight there. I will complete the DZ tomorrow morning and then drive to Stranraer to finish the fair off there this weekend then bring the miami in through the night to catch the Sunday afternoon here. No rest for the wicked!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home