Monday 16 June 2008

a fairground life(joy rider-almost!)


Friday

As we have done for the last few years, this was "a family day out" day. So off to Edinburgh we went. First on the list was the Edinburgh Dungeons, not too bad for a ghoulish creepy hour or so. After that, Chinese Buffet time for lunch. Last up was a tour of Mary Kings Close. Very interesting, educational and a peek 400 years into the past-amazing! well worth a visit. It was just after 5pm when we surfaced again, time to head back for opening.

Saturday

We opened as usual just after the wreath was laid at the war memorial. Business was on par and we suffered only from a few light showers. At 10 pm we closed. "r" was en route from Selkirk to help me pull down, so Blakey gave me a hand in the meantime and we had 90%  of the skydiver away before "r" arrived.

The midges were biting like mad and swarming in clouds around us. We finished the skydiver and pulled it out onto the road. Next the DZ was pulled down. A light drizzle fell just as we were finishing. It was nearly 2am so we decided to couple the unit up tomorrow.

Sunday 6:15am. Up and off to sunny Burntisland to erect the skydiver. It was just after 8am when we pulled on site and the sun was splitting the sky. By 12noon the ride was erected and ready for opening at 1pm. At that "m" arrived to watch it for me while "r" and I returned to move the DZ away to Selkirk. 

It was around 2pm when we got back to the village. I started the unit to build the air up. The heat was stifling in the cab so I left the drivers door open. I went to the trailer to adjust the landing legs height for coupling up. At that 3 teenagers passed by. Two male and 1 female, aged I guess around 16-18. They were carrying bottles of alcohol and the girl was clearly drunk. I didn't think much of it and carried on winding the legs. When I turned around about 30 secs later I could here the boys saying to the girl "you can't go in there". The girl was standing at the unit door. I started to call to her, but she ignored me, so I made a dash for her. She had started to climb into the cab and was halfway in when I got to her. The lorry was running. To avoid my worst fears of her putting the lorry in gear and driving through the swing park or tea room I grabbed onto her jeans waist band and pulled her down and out of the cab. She landed on her knees. As she was turning towards me she said, in her posh voice-"Get oaff me! You Facking Caunt!  Well it was quite refreshing actually, as it was better than the usual taunt- Ya Gypsy Bastart ! I clearly stated that if she had put the lorry into gear she could have killed someone! She got to her feet and went with her two associates into the swing park. I assume they were soberer than her. What a shame that the scourge of teeny drinkers surfaces in this lovely village. Anyhow I immediately coupled the unit up to the DZ and locked the cab while we coupled up the Hobby caravan to the jeep. 

Monday

A lazy day today. "r" opened the miami at 6:30 pm. He had complained to me that the set was smoking a lot. I removed the air filter, but it made no difference. I will change the fuel filter at the next place, but I have a feeling it could be the pump or injectors. We closed about 9pm. We only have 7 miles to travel tomorrow but we will have to be up early as the next small town is very tight for vehicle access. Hope "r" got those brakes put on properly.


The picture is for Blakey- that walling looks like a good midge deterrent , how about that for WL next year ?

ps thanks for the pull down and I uploaded this over an open airport link found to the rear of the fair.


5 Comments:

At 17 June 2008 at 07:24 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear buisness was good at west linton it is a shame that a small minority cause trouble or spoil things for others but i dont think everyone can be perfect every teenager thinks there untouchable after a few swigs of the cheap cider. are you off to melrose today has the borders been good in general for you.

 
At 17 June 2008 at 15:48 , Blogger showman said...

In Melrose for 7:30am. Back in the big Smoke now for other business tomorrow. Have wheels, will travel. Selkirk was a good fair this year, no doubt the dry weather paid a big part.

 
At 17 June 2008 at 18:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes the weather has been good recently in the borders was looking at the pics of burntisland and the tempest looks in very good nick how old is it? as a showman with many rides over the years what would you say has been the best ride you have owned?. many thanks borderer hope melrose good buisness wise should be,hope everyone all well.borderer

 
At 17 June 2008 at 22:03 , Blogger showman said...

That's a hard one, as they say "horses for courses" but the old "para" owes me nothing and got me what I got today.

 
At 30 June 2008 at 15:02 , Blogger showman said...

Its not as simple as how old is something, the main bobin would be 30 plus, some other parts 50 plus, then a major refit in 1994 again in 2003 then new floors and all the work done in jan-feb 08. The ride's origins are back in the 50s-60s I would guess. Its does show with care and maintenance that things can last, probably not considered in this modern throw away world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home