Friday 11 July 2008

a fairground life (manufacturing)


Manufacturing


A few years after getting married (89 or so) my wife and I decided to branch out a little. The old Paratrooper was knocking out a living but it was time to acquire another tool. We decided on a juvenile ride. It had to be fold up and towable to keep the work load down. I had seen several juvenile rides like this and I also thought I could make one myself. It would be cheaper than buying and it would be to my own spec. So we organised a bank loan and space in the engineers premises that made the old twist fold up for us. I like drawing and using several pads, had everything planned, scaled, measured and quantified for the job. I searched numerous suppliers for the cheapest steel, running gear, axles, motors, lights and other assorted items to produce the ride. I also invested in a new chopsaw to cut the box section. I started with a pile of steel on the shed floor. Woking about 8 hrs a day and with some help from my dad,brother and BK the ride was almost finished (4 weeks) for starting out. It was a juvenile waltzer type ride, 16ft dia platform with a 2ft step around it and a fold up top. The ride was driven by a 1hp motor attached to a brand new gearbox that I found in a scrap yard. We started out but the ride was still awaiting the cars before it would be ready. So we made them at nights in our amusement arcade after the fair closing. The ride worked well at first but the 1hp motor was not strong enough and soon burnt out (at a 1 day gaff within the first 30 mins) so I changed it to a 2hp. No more problems after that except it was harder to run and needed a big generator (no nipping off to a gala with a petrol Honda). The ride went in the AECC the next year when it was painted "Ninja Turtles".  A couple of years later and I sold that ride to my father. I borrowed more money and built another juvenile ride. This time I rented my own premises close to where we were wintered. This next ride was to be a juvenile lifting paratrooper (AKA skydiver). I had seen examples of this ride, but knew I could make a lighter, easier one. So 10 weeks later (Dec-Feb 91-92ish) I had produced the ride. The axles stayed in and the ride was 100% fold up with nothing having to be removed for transporting. I even learned how to make fibreglass moulds and produce glitter impregnated, single piece car skins in multiple colours. The first fair out was Kirkcaldy Links, right in the middle of the fair on good toba. The first day was a stormer for business, but the drive let me down- again. This time the mounting brackets on the cast gearbox broke off. The ride never opened again and we lost the gaff. I decided right away to put on a hydraulic drive. I wanted to do that in the first place but I couldn't do it within my original budget. No option, I borrowed more cash and ordered the items (well over £1200 at the time). At the next fair I fitted the drive in a couple of days. That was the end of the problems and the wee ride worked a charm from then on. I had an idea- sell the wee skydiver and with the profits produce two more. So I advertised the ride for sale in August. If I had ten I could have sold them all and the first chap to come and view it , bought it and drove it back to Cornwall. This was easy I thought and made plans for production. I borrowed more cash, invested in a new bench drill and from November to January I produced another two wee skydivers. I improved the pack up, ride decor, drive and hydraulic systems etc. The fibre glassing was hard work, I made 25 car skins, 16 hoods, 25 footrests and 25 seats in total plus 4 domes and 8 centre panels. Nine of these cars were to be fitted to a juvenile twist another showman was making. ( I was so good at the glitter impregnated fibre glassing by now, that the supplier of the materials was sending their clients to me for information on how to do it!!!)The GRP work was hard, the resin burned skin, the dust particles from cutting irritated your breathing and the fumes made your eyes water. When I smell it now it brings back vivid memories. The two MkII's sat side by side in the yard gleaming. I was cock sure I would sell easily,  so I advertised and advertised and advertised.No sales but I did get a call from a chap who wanted to be my agent and sell them for me down south. I declined the offer, maybe it was a mistake, who knows. By June my father in law was travelling the second ride to help make the repayments while we were looking after the other. It was a struggle to keep up the repayments but we managed until I finally got an order for another ride. Then we sold one wee skydiver in late October (relief). It went down south also. A Scottish showman had commissioned me to build a new juvenile for him, a set of fold up chair o planes. This I started in mid August and did a little work at every fair we attended until they were finished in November. The drive motor never failed on this, it was a Dodgem car motor so as to run on a 110v DC supply. This ride also had glitter impregnated rounding boards and centre panels. 

Again we wanted to move on, so we advertised the Paratrooper for sale this time and kept the remaining wee skydiver. No interest at all, I couldn't give it away. It was clean and tidy but old hat. Time to build again. So ALL the experience of making the juveniles and working on the twist went to making the old Para into what it is today. That was way back in the early 90's. That was the end of the manufacturing for a few years until I built a stall in Cyprus 99 and a fold up track for "r"s set of coin operated bikes in 2000 (code named project X by Blakey).  I have completed a few other projects. Like most Showmen, I've always been good with my hands. Needs must. I eventually sold the last wee skydiver in Oct 07 to an Irishman. This was to make way for the DZ.   How easy it was with the DZ--just buy it and switch it on!! 


The photo is a copy of one of my advertising info sheets. The wee rides are still in operation in England and Ireland. I sometimes see them in the background of photos in the worlds fair. One has had a new round floor fitted and all them GRP glittering cars, hoods and panels I slaved to make were painted over bright yellow, Aaargh!!!

11 Comments:

At 11 July 2008 at 23:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the image is of the mkI the mkII was slightly wider so the two outside cars did not have to be held in at an angle as shown and there were tread plate mud gards fitted over the wheels so you could not see them. also the car headlights were changed to caps were as the mkI was square car lights like you would put on top of a van or pick up

 
At 12 July 2008 at 09:50 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should tell the story about the game you made to go to cyprus !

 
At 12 July 2008 at 15:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi all hows things?showman hows buisness at the mall getting better i hope, wont be long till your highland games run, jesters hows things going yourself, hope all you lot are keeping well cheers.

 
At 12 July 2008 at 15:32 , Blogger jesters said...

Well r sorted that one out, still seems odd as you stated earlier that a class 2 wont allow you to tow a trailer on a van etc, strange. Didnt know you did so much fabrication showman, the juvs look great, how much? i want one!
Recently on the market i noticed in worlds fair a mini miami, very smart i thought, until i phoned for a price, once the minor heart attack passed i set about finding a engineer to manufacture one. None would touch it, too difficult, not sure it would pass test, too busy etc etc, time you went back into ride building!!
T in the park killed me today and was v quiet, sun will prob be the same, all the best to everyone, P.S Whats the weight answer???

 
At 12 July 2008 at 21:14 , Blogger showman said...

weights lightest to heaviest- show 15t all in, DZ 15t on own but 21t with unit, skydiver 31.5t with unit, miami 32.5t with unit. the miami ride is lighter than the skydiver it is only the units that make the difference as the skydiver is an erf 4x2 with 100kva set and the miami is a foden 6x4 with a 200kva set with 400 lts more fuel capacity. bet that is a surprise to some people.

see wife logging on now, nothing sacred, need to watch the stories now!

 
At 13 July 2008 at 19:45 , Blogger jesters said...

Interesting, not what i guessed with the weigh in, but as you say the unit makes a difference, the other question i had but forgot to ask related to the on going building work in glasgow, how will this affect the yards? Are they safe where they are? Are there plans to move the various yards?
How was the wknd take? better than mine i hope, t in the park deff killed my weekend, wonder if they take the damage to the local economey when there counting there millions of pounds profit? doubt it! P.S. Wheres blakey?

 
At 13 July 2008 at 20:25 , Blogger showman said...

Several yards under threat in the east end. Two to be moved in the very near future I hear. one already cleared after 50yrs occupation and the owner relocated to shettleston. The housing cool down cloud has a silver lining with respect to giving some possible yard sites a reprieve , if only for a short time.
Every day this month (so far) has been back, except for the miami as it was closed for several days last year due to break down.
Had interesting conversation about the catering pricing at the big T, it seems that single pitch rentals are in high 4 digit figures, you have to buy all drinks from the organisers at seriously inflated prices and you can only tap on to their generators at stupid fees!!!! sounds like a racket!
Blakey down south again, (best place for him) every time he leaves I pray for him, but its no good he keeps finding his way back!

 
At 13 July 2008 at 21:39 , Blogger jesters said...

Its deff a racket, have heard of some really bizarre pitch fees quoted, i couldnt even entertain that at all, surprised that some showman can afford it, unless there is some special deal worked out. Must admit i didnt like the sound of the yards being cleared, sounded like a conveinient excuse by council and local "bodys" to have ground they fancied handily cleared, I understand some owners being tempted by large sums involved, but once these yards are lost they will be hard to replace as the nimby crowd will be out in force.
Glad blakey is entertaining the english (someone has too) all the best to all!

 
At 14 July 2008 at 07:50 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day all how was the weekend? ah yes t in the park is dear whatever think its over 3 pound for a pint and you can book your crate of tennents lager 24 cans allowed per day at a cost of £24 what scandal, i no this as my cousin was going up this year, hey showman how about we aqquire some field somewhere and try ower own party in the park lol, have the funfair all we need is a field lol.

 
At 14 July 2008 at 14:06 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont panic i found way back no problem.Wife at dif gaff this weekend ,unfortunately she managed to find way back also.[glad she does'nt read this].Weekend ok for me ,but jus spent few hours washing everthing as plenty of mud around again.Got rain at both events on sat but nice on sunday,so managed to get out without aid of tractor,although needed one to get set on thursday. Nothing for this weekend so off to my brother inlaw's tomorrow then on to chalet exibition at coventry for well earned couple of days off.Showman might explain what a chalet is since he just sit in his box everyday.It give him something to do.

 
At 21 July 2008 at 19:17 , Blogger showman said...

CHALET- pronounced SHA LAY, definition- POSH GITS "WAGON" (LOL) surely real Showmens homes have wheels! wait a minute, I've got a house???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home